Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Happy Boxing Day!

In Canada (and in many other British Commonwealth countries), December 26th is Boxing Day. I've heard a number of different reasons why we have this holiday but it doesn't really matter if you are off school or work! So, to celebrate Boxing Day Anya had a little boxing match with her father.

As you can see in this picture, her countless hours in the womb gave her a pretty good boxing stance, protecting her face with her left hand and ready to jab with her right. But luckily, I had some scouts take some pictures of her using the latest technology in ultrasound and so I knew a long time ago that she can keep her hands up and has a pretty good defensive strategy. I was ready for, at least, this part...




In this one she is throwing her right hook at me. Ouch, that hurts! It was a pretty powerful hit, especially with those "claws" that have never been cut or filed! She will have to get them cut in about two weeks if she wants to stay in the league... The ultrasound scouts never saw this kind of attack in the womb! They thought she didn't have enough space in her training facilities to practice this move. (They did see a lot of kicking, but that was training for a different sport...)




In this one, I was fooled by her "I'm a little tea pot" dance and then she got me good with an upper cut to the chin. You can actually see the left hand at the bottom starting to move up for the hit.




This one is her game face. Pretty intense. I'm still shaking...




The loser of the match had to hold and rock to sleep the winner... This picture reveals the victor:




Anya also got to meet our pediatrician for the first time today. The pediatrician is originally from Canada and has a 3 month old herself. Anya, of course, had to weigh in for the boxing match later this evening by the doctor and she currently sits at 6 pounds 2 ounces. So, she lost a little weight but is doing well since she left the hospital. She's definitely a feather weight but she's planning on moving up to the heavy weights later next year. For now, though, she's going to kick back and drink lots of milk until her next match...