Friday, February 9, 2007

Homework's In! So, I'm Back!

It was a bit of a rough week. I had a large homework assignment due on Thursday and spent close to 30 hours working on it during the prior three days. Although I wasn't a procrastinator, I still found myself burning the midnight candle at 3 am Thursday morning trying to finish up the assignment. (Actually, if I was a procrastinator I would have never finished...) Anyway, the problem with going to school on public transportation is that there is a limit to how late the Marta train operates. Plan accordingly. At about 2:30am, I found myself stuck at school with no convenient way to get home. I called (and woke-up) Lindy and she and Anya were ready to make the trip down to pick me up. What a great bunch of girls! However, I thought it might be safer (and a little less inconvenient for a majority of us) to not have them pick me up, especially since I would have to get back on the train at about 5am and come back to school to finish my assignment before handing it in at noon. So I said goodnight and goodbye and worked for a few more hours before leaving my office to find a couch somewhere in the engineering building. I found one beside a little cubicle and curled up for a couple of hours. Ah.... Sleeping over at school.... Always a treat. I later had to move up a couple of floors and finish my night on a thinly covered cement floor. The cold wasn't as bad as waking up every 10 minutes to turn over and switch the body parts which held the pressure of my body weight. It reminded me of a period of time in Russia when I did the same thing for many nights in a row... (Except it was colder... and harder...we just don't make cement as hard as we used to....)

Anyway, it's been nice to catch up with my family after not seeing them for 36 hours. Anya learned how to talk, walk, read and sit up on the couch during my absence. In the following picture she was upset with me for taking her book away while she studied calculus with her mom. (Hey! Give it back!)


Although she's reading now, she still likes to eat like a baby. I asked her what she wanted to eat. She said, "Milk, dad. Don't you know?"


But after a hearty meal (and a change of clothes) it was back to the couch sitting around and reading some more great books.


When she was tired of that, it was time for a night on the town! She changed into one of her dresses and received more compliments on her cuteness than I have in my life!