Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day!

It's an interesting coincidence that of all days I could write about our visit to Ground Zero on our trip to New York, it happened to fall on today - Memorial Day.

It was rather sobering to be there. On September 11th, 2001, I was in Russia on my mission and only heard about that day's happenings exclusively from other people in a language I could hardly understand and so I think I still don't know everything I should about this unfortunate event. Nevertheless, it was interesting to see what the city is doing by way of rebuilding the complex and developing a memorial to the people that lost their lives that day.

Here are two pictures of the construction site. The front left corner is where the new Freedom Tower will be erected to exactly 1776 feet tall.

In this one at a different angle you can see some of the rebar of the foundation.
We also took a ferry over to Liberty and Ellis Islands and took some pictures looking back to the main(is)land.
The Statue of Liberty was really cool. I would have liked to go to the top but I might have to wait until I'm a superhero or something since they only let the commoners go up halfway. All the way or nothing! (Do people only go to the 51st floor of the Empire State Building!? Huh? Do they? No. They don't.)

We spent a lot more time on Ellis Island because of my fascination with immigration... ;)

I'm glad that when I came into the country I didn't have to wait in a line... Oh, wait. I did. But at least I wasn't among the 2% who were turned back, because that drive in south Alberta is sure dry!

Anya on the ferry to Liberty Island: